St Mark’s Church is a Parish Church that is situated in St Mark’s Square in the Croatian City of Zagreb. It is thought that the church was built in the early 13th century but had major reconstruction in the 14th century and was built to a Gothic style. The church’s south portal is thought to be the most valuable part, as it is thought to be the work of the Parler family of sculptors from Prague. The portal which contains fifteen effigies is thought to be the most valuable Gothic portal in Central Europe, the effigies contain Mary and Joseph with baby Jesus, St Mark and the Lion and twelve apostles. The oldest coat of arms of Zagreb is on the northwestern wall with it engraved in 1499, the coat of arms is also featured on the roof tiles along with the coat of arms of the Triune Kingdom of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia.
The church is situated in the Gradec area of the city, it is within walking distance of the city centre and St Mark’s Square is well signposted.
Opening Times and Admission
The church only opens its doors fully during times of mass but does invite in the public to its anteroom. From April to October, the Church has a changing of the guard every Saturday and Sunday.