The Silesian Theatre is a theatre dedicated to Stanisław Wyspiański that is situated in Katowice, Poland. The theatre was built as a German Theatre in the years 1905-1907 to the designs of German architect Carl Moritz. The theatre was converted to a Polish theatre in 1922 and has been host to over 1000 plays in the last century, with the 1940s and 50s being a high point. The theatre has always been an important cultural venue in the region of Silesia and over the past few decades, there has been an increase in Silesian dialect shows held at the theatre.
The theatre is situated in the city centre of Katowice, next to the Market Square. It is a short walk away from the city’s main train station. The 6, 7, 13, 14, 23, 36 and 40 trams stop outside the theatre at the ‘Rynek’ stop; as does the 0, 15, 16 and 20 buses.
Opening Times and Admission
The best way to visit the theatre is by attending a show. The theatre's box office is open from 10am-7pm, it closes 2 hours before a show is held at the theatre.