San Petronio Basilica is the main church of Bologna, Italy. Construction of the basilica started in 1390 to the designs of architect Antonio de Vincenzo, but even today the construction of the basilica is not complete with only a part of the facade ever being finished. The basilica was given the name San Petronio after Saint Petronius the 8th bishop of the city. The church is one of the biggest in the world in terms of land it covers and is the largest built out of brick to a gothic style.
The basilica is situated in the centre of the city on the city square the Piazza Maggiore. It is within a walking distance of most parts of the city. The local bus services stop near the square, take the 14, 19, 25 or 27 to the ‘Rizzoli’ stop.
Opening Times and Admission
The basilica is open daily, 7.45am-6.30pm.