Old Parliament House (formerly Provisional Parliament House) is the former seat of the Australian Parliament, it is situated in Canberra, Australia. The buildings and gardens were opened in 1927 after being built to the designs of architect John Smith Murdoch. The buildings were built to a simplified Classical style, they served as the home of Australian Parliament from 1927 to 1988 when parliament moved to the New Parliament House. The building was only seen as a provisional home for the Australian parliament but was its home for 61 years becoming a huge part of Australian history. Today, the buildings are used for exhibitions, concerts and lectures as well as hosting the Museum of Australian Democracy.
The Old Parliament House is situated a short walk away from the New Parliament House. If you are travelling to the area by car, there is an onsite car park. By bus, use the 1, 81 and 981 services that stop at the buildings.
Opening Times and Admission
Old Parliament House is open daily to the public, 9am-5pm. The museum at the building has an admission fee of 2$ for adults and 1$ for children.