Newstead Abbey is a country house situated to the north of the English city of Nottingham. The country house was formerly an Augustinian Priory which was converted to a domestic home after the dissolution of the Monasteries. Construction of Newstead Abbey started in the 12th century and rebuilds and extensions continued to the 15th century. Sir John Byron was granted Newstead Abbey by Henry VIII of England on 26 May 1540 and converted it from a priory to a country house. The house was owned by the Byron family for many centuries until the local council took ownership and turned it into a place that the public can visit with a museum telling the history of the building. The building itself is large with beautiful architecture and wonderful gardens, it also has its own lake, ponds and waterfalls.
The best way to get to the country house is by driving, with onsite parking available to visitors. The house is situated to the north of Nottingham and public transport links are pretty poor to the area.
Opening Times and Admission
The gardens of the country house are open daily, 9am-5pm. The house itself is only open on Saturdays and Sundays 10am-4pm.