Liberdade Square is a square in the city of Porto, Portugal. The origins of the square date back to the 18th century but it was not until the19th century that the square gained importance with the municipality moving to a building on the north side of the square and the Dom Luis bridge being built close by. The square became a political, economic and social centre of the city. In 1866 the monument that is dedicated to King Peter IV was added to the centre of the square. The square was slightly altered in the 20th century and today it remains a popular meeting point in the city that is bordered by restaurants, bars and offices.
The square is situated in the lower town area of Porto, next to the Avenida dos Aliados. It is a short walk away from ‘Porto Sao Bento’ train and metro stations. The 904 and 905 buses stop by the square.
Opening Times and Admission
The square is a public square, it is free to use at any hour of the day.