The Castle of Good Hope (Cape Town Castle) is a fortress in Cape Town, South Africa. The fortress was built by the Dutch East India Company between 1666 and 1679, it is one of the oldest colonial buildings in South Africa. The fortress was built in a pentagonal shape. It served as a prison in the 19th century during the Second Boer War of which the cells are still in place today. In more modern times the fort has been declared a national monument and after restorations, it is now home to a museum and an infantry unit.
The fortress is situated a short walk away from the main train station of the city ‘Cape Town Station’. The 102 and 112 buses stop just by the entrance to the fort.
Opening Times and Admission
The fortress is open to visitors daily 9am-5pm. Admission is set at 50ZAR for adults and 25ZAR for concessions. Guided tours operate at the fort hourly between 11am-4pm.